Who We Are
In February 2009, the Northern Metropolitan Patient Safety Institute (the first in New York State) received approval for initial listing from The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) www.pso.ahrq.gov.
The Institute is comprised of:
- PSI Board of Directors
- Clinical Advisory Council
- Patient Safety Committee
- Patient Falls Committee
- Surgical Site Infection Committee
What We Do
Hospitals participating in the Northern Metropolitan Patient Safety Institute (NorMet PSI) will collaborate with other hospitals, their attending physicians and other health care providers with the express goals to meet the following objectives:
- Increase patient safety and quality of health care through the collection and analysis of data related to patient care and adverse events from multiple providers.
- Gather and analyze data regarding adverse patient events from healthcare providers in a confidential environment that encourages participation and full disclosure of all relevant information.
- Promote rapid learning among health care professionals about the underlying causes of risks and harms in the delivery of health care and to share those findings with the healthcare community to improve patient outcomes and increase efficiencies in the region’s healthcare systems.
Certain activities are deemed critical in order for participating hospitals and the NorMet PSI to attain the above-mentioned goals. As such, the NorMet PSI and all other participating hospitals will collaborate to:
- Identify, analyze, and reduce the risks and hazards associated with patient care;
- Conduct, coordinate, sponsor and/or assist investigation and activities to increase the knowledge base of hospitals, physicians and other health care providers so that patients may be better served and the quality and safety of healthcare are enhanced;
- Undertake the creation of databases and to promote the exchange of information among hospitals and other health care providers to identify important care processes, interventions and best practices to enhance patient safety;
- Solicit, obtain, spend, grant and dispose of funds in furtherance of its purposes;
- Document and measure the improvements in patient care processes, and resultant impacts on patient quality of life and savings to the healthcare system.
Click on the link above for sites recommended by the Medical Library Association as highly valuable for patients seeking information about their health and healthcare.
What We Belive
The NorMet Patient Safety Institute is a means of furthering the commitment of nearly 27 member hospitals in the seven-county lower Hudson Valley region of New York State to provide the highest quality and safest care to the over 2.3 million people who live and work in the region.
The NorMet PSO seeks to further develop a culture of safety in its member hospitals and to identify important care processes, interventions and best practices to transform the hospitals into the safest in the nation. The NorMet Patient Safety Institute offers hospitals, citizens and the state the unique opportunity to more rapidly ascertain and affect and ascertain improvements in care, dramatically shortening the current national estimate of more than a decade needed for adoption of new clinical best practices. This improvement will be in discrete focused initiatives, one at a time, but throughout a seven county region that serves millions of New Yorkers.